Becoming a leader
When and Where?
You can catch this content at the following events (past and future):
- July 25-27, 2022: Global Big Data SRE Conference (Virtual)
- June 15 2022: Agile+DevOps West (Virtual)
- November 27, 2021: DDD (Developer! Developer! Developer!) 2021
- November 17, 2021: Agile+DevOps East
- October 23, 2021: Big Mountain Data & Dev 2021
- June 9, 2021: Agile+DevOps West (Virtual)
- May 27, 2021: DevSum 2021
- May 4, 2021: Minnesota Developer Conference (MDC) 2021
One of the most difficult transitions to make is from being a member of the team, to owning your former teammates performance reviews. It is awkward. It is stressful. And you can do it!
In this session, we’ll take a look at the challenges of making this transition and how you can face them head on. Leveraging the years of experience I’ve built up, you can learn from my healthy backlog of failures, poor decisions, and generally bad ideas. These mistakes were what helped me to learn, and now you can too!
What will we learn?
Audience members should come away being able to answer 5 questions:
- How do you maintain a trusted relationship with your team mates?
- How do you employ empathy to help yourself understand your team?
- How do you gain authority and decision making where previously you had none?
- How do you make decisions that impact the lives of your team in very significant ways?
- How do you balance your corporate strategic responsibilities with your desire to advocate for your own team member’s needs?
Want to take a look?
A full version of the talk, as seen at DDD2021:
The short version of this talk, as seen at Minnesota Developers Conference 2021: